Thursday, July 8, 2010

Oh man... it's here...

Before I get to what the blog title is referring to, I'll say this about Super Mario Galaxy 2: the first 120 stars you get are awesome. The second 120, the green stars, are... Well, I've only gotten one of them so far, but if that one is any indication, it will be awhile before I complete Super Mario Galaxy 2 100%. You have to search the levels for these stars, and the game gives you no clue as to where in the level they are other than a faint light in the sky, and a star sound when you are near them.

It's like a throwback to the days of N64 collect-a-thons, in a way. Like they injected some DK64 into the game. So, it will probably be a while before I get back to SMG2, although I enjoyed it while is lasted.

I picked up Persona 3 Portable a few days ago, and have put in about two hours so far. I went ahead and decided to play as the girl, and since I can't come up with names to save my life, I went with my girlfriend's full name. It's an interesting take, really! Since the main character is silent, I've been unwittingly projecting my girlfriend's personality on her. Besides the fact that the character looks nothing like my girlfriend, I have found myself answering Social Link questions and the like how I think she would. It's kind of fun, actually.

As far as what I think about the game itself so far, I am disappointed in one respect: the anime cutscenes from Persona 3:FES were removed! On the GameSpite boards, I was told that this was because they were "pretty bad" anyway. Well, I could care less! I thought they added a ton to the presentation. The first scene of the game, in which the main character travels from the train station to the dorm, is the scene that intrigued the crap out of me when I first saw it before I had ever played a MegaTen game. You could say that scene sent me on the spiral I've found myself in since then, having bought and owned almost every Shin Megami Tensei game released in America since then...

But I digress. That scene had the main character walking down a street, past bloody coffins just strewn everywhere, but all standing up erect. He seemed to sort of notice them, but just kept going, and then when he got to the dorm, this creepy little kid in striped pajamas told him to sign a book. It was weird and awkward and creepy all at once, and it hooked the shit out of me.

Persona 3 Portable uses a few lines of text to describe this scene, along with a few stills taken, I assume, from that cutscene. It still works to a certain extent, but I don't think it'd hook newcomers to the game like the anime would, "questionable quality" or not.

But anyway, that's all nerdy bitchery. I'm really enjoying the differences in the girl's campaign, even if I have already noticed a voice acting error (she just woke up in the hospital, Yukari! At least get her gender right!). I'm interested in seeing where the story goes once certain key characters are introduced, and I really like the design of the girl character as well. The male version was neat, but really, really weird looking. He would run with his hands in his pockets, which still sounds so weird to me.

Wow I'm all over the place today. I need to remember to start a paragraph and fucking finish the paragraph with that topic. Yeah. I'm going to stop for the night now. I hope I'll play more tomorrow, maybe I'll post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment