Sunday, February 26, 2012

Now I remember why I wait like eight years between Tales games!

It's not because they're bad, but because they're insanely long!

I mean don't get me wrong. I just got done with a four hour Tales of the Abyss marathon. And as soon as I'm done with this post, I'm going to jump right back in. But man! I'm 25 hours in and thought the end was in sight, but it's not!

The characters, though, have gone through some "growth." I won't explain why, but Luke is no longer a petulant little asshole. He rarely tells people to shut up any more. However, Jade has become more and more of a jerk, and I absolutely adore him for it. He is definitely my favorite character in the game by a long shot.

Story aside, though, let me talk about the pacing. That four hour marathon was great and the next few hours will presumably be just as interesting, but the last couple of times I played Abyss?

It was... Abysmal.

Sick burn.

It was, though. The game decided to make me run back and forth between the same like five towns a million times, with not much battling in between, while the game just threw out plot point after plot point after exposition after plot point. And while a good chunk of the plot was interesting, it took too goddamn long to get through. And the swamp dungeon was retarded. "Oh, getting bored with all the exposition, player? How about a dungeon where you spend the majority of your time getting into a fight with a giant monster who can't be beaten? A monster who your party members tell you to run from? And they're right, too, because the thing can kill you in like three hits. Oh, and while you run from it - how about we halve your walking speed on the world map? WOULD YOU LIKE THAT, PLAYER?!"

I can't remember if I had gotten this frustrated with Symphonia. Despite playing that game forever and enjoying it quite a bit, I remember very little of it. I don't know how much I'll remember about Abyss, but I hope I remember how entertaining the party is as they bicker and bitch at each other.

That four hour marathon sure was fun, though. I got to explore some pretty neat dungeons, including one where the party was split up halfway through and had to spend the rest of it getting back together. It kind of reminded me of that dungeon in Final Fantasy VI where that happens, although it was no where near as hard (plus, with the ability to avoid battles if you can run away from the enemies, you don't lose a ton of time or HP).

Hopefully the rest of the dungeons are as interesting as that one (and with boss battles as fun!), because I can't guarantee I'll stick with the game once Devil Survivor 2 comes out if I'm not having fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment