Monday, May 10, 2010

Thoughts on Super Princess Peach pt. 1

I was finally able to pick up Super Princess Peach today. I have wanted to play this game for quite a while now, but never wanted to spend $30+ on it - and I was able to trade my copy of No More Heroes (which, let's be honest, I was never going to play again) away to a kind fellow on Gamespite.net.

And I'm glad I did! The game is fairly breezy so far, and is pretty enjoyable. I just beat the boss of the first world, and I have no idea how long this game is, but I hope the puzzle difficulty starts to ramp up because I enjoy the mechanics so far.

Well, mechanically, I do.

You see (and this will come as no surprise to anyone who actually knows anything about this game), Princess Peach has some power-ups available to her at any time in this game, so long as her power up meter has some juice left in it.

What are her powers?

Menstruation.

I'm only half-kidding. You use her emotions to change her abilities; so when she is sad, she cries huge waterfalls of tears that allow her to fill things and water plants and such, and when she is angry? She bursts into a pillar of flame, allowing her to kill enemies instantly and burn down wooden things. When she is happy, she is able to float, and when she "calms down" (which is another power you have to activate!), her health slowly refills.

Now I am not Mr. Politically Correct. I could care less if people are offended if something is most likely good-natured and teasing; and this may very well be the case with Super Princess Peach! I haven't met the developers, of course. But since I haven't I can't help but feel like this game is pretty darned sexist.

Which isn't to say I'll be boycotting the game - far from it, actually. I'm enjoying it so far! It's not as if the game is a total comment on supposed "emotional instability of women" - the powers are used, and you move on. Some might even argue that the emotions are actually part of Princess Peach's character, but whatever. Moving on.

Despite the weird presentation, I think Super Princess Peach has a lot going for it. The controls work really well, the graphics evoke a sort of simpler Yoshi's Island type of look, and there are nods to other Mario games throughout the entire thing that aren't annoying overt. The puzzles, so far, seem simple yet entertaining, and that first boss fight actually had a little challenge to it. The music is, well, simply okay so far.

I suppose I'll end my thoughts here. I'll get more into the specifics in my next post, as I don't have much more to say yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment