Thursday, January 30, 2014

Devil Survivor 2: First Complete Playthrough

I just wrapped up Daichi's ending of Devil Survivor 2. As the credits roll by, I want to reflect on the game, given how much I enjoyed the first one.

First, the differences. The first game has a much better overall story. I won't spoil either game, but suffice it to say DS2 is basically a traditional mainline Megaten story whereas DS1 is its own thing. Not that DS2s story was bad - it's just not as original as the first one. I also thought the enemy was far less interesting than the enemy in the first game.

The Fate system, though, is where I feel like the game sort of falls apart. I was excited for this mechanic when I first heard about the game because it takes one of my favorite aspects of Persona 3 and 4 - social links - and grafts them onto Devil Survivor's structure. I can see what the developers were going for but because the story doesn't make too much sense unless you already know what is happening, it falls apart.

You see, I used a guide for this game, and not for a single battle - not one! I used a guide when I got to the second day because the game does an extremely poor job of hinting which story events will advance your Fate level with a character, and which ones are largely pointless. The Nicaea website, which shows you a clip of someones death before it happens, can be difficult to decipher too, because you have to be in the right place at the right time or else the person you are trying to save will die (which is likely as intended - the characters don't know when/where these events happen either). In practice though, it's just frustrating and stressful. So, I used a FAQ to tell me which options to pick so I didn't lose anybody and so I could focus on my favorite part of the game, battles and demon fusion.

Both are improved over DS1. Gone is the weird magnetite system from DS1 that most players don't use much, and in its place is a system that will occasionally reward the player with items that will allow them to fuse demons differently. For example, when fusing, I can attach the "Fire Set" item to the new demon, which allows it to pick moves of the fire type that I've unlocked. This is great when I have a demon that is otherwise perfect, but weak to fire - slap the fire set on it, pick Null/Repel/Drain Fire, and fuse! There are other types, too, such as items that boost demon stats, remove moves the demon comes with you don't like, remove stat caps from the fusion ingredients, etc. etc. This is by far my favorite addition to the game.

They also added a few new demon powers as well as made some of them "evolve" and get stronger when you level up your demons enough. One of the evolutions allows the demons team to attack up to seven squares away for sacrificing some MP - this got heavy use from me at the end of the game. It made those types of demons actually useful for once, because I can stay out of range, still attack, but not have to worry about getting murdered since the enemy can't reach me!

They did some balancing, too. There are more useful physical moves in this game, as opposed to the Pierce/Deathbound in the first, although that is still extremely viable. Drain got nerfed a bit, but Holy Dance still hits hard. The game also gives you a fairly stable set of characters so you aren't stuck with a set that sucks.

It really is too bad the story is so boring, because given the gameplay enhancements in DS2, I could see it beating out DS1 as one of my absolute favorite games. DS2 is still really good, and I will probably do some New Game + stuff throughout the year, since I enjoyed that mode so much in the first game. I really could spend a decent amount of time picking out why the story feels so half assed, but there'd be plenty of spoilers and I'm sure it has been done elsewhere better than I could. I'd still recommend Devil Survivor: Overclocked over this one.

Here's looking forward to Devil Survivor 3, though. This series is a very close second to Persona 3 and 4 as my favorite sub-series of SMT for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment