Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Giana Sisters DS

On a whim, I decided to buy Giana Sisters DS from Newegg, since it was only $15 and I've absolutely never seen it in real life before. I guess I figured the game would be hella rare someday, and that may or may not be true.

Either way though, I'm surprisingly glad I bought it. It's actually a fun little game! Well, I should say that it is by no means anything special. What I mean is that the game does very little to differentiate itself from other similar platformers. You just jump around and pick up diamonds (basically Mario coins). You have to get through the levels without dying. Sure, you can pick up a bubble powerup (one of two, the other of which I haven't seen yet) and float around by using the microphone or the A button, but that's about it as far as unique mechanics. And to be honest, the bubble works exactly like it does in that one level in Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, although I would argue that it controls better.

The music is fantastic, though. It sounds like a Commodore 64, and is soothing, which are two things I would never type about music at the same time. It's weird because I feel like this game was very nostalgic for it's creators to make, but I have no idea if they're the same guys who made the original Giana Sisters.

I have to say, the balls of those guys back then to call the game Giana Sisters. "They're Italian siblings who run and jump and get a powerup that let's them shoot energy balls!" Sound familiar?! The graphics on the C64 game look a LOT like Mario 1, as well. In fact a lot of the level design of the game is ripped straight from the NES.

The graphics are pretty good, though. I quite like the pixel art - it seems to be a cross between a flash game (which I usually find bland and ugly) and a retro NES game (which I usually find gorgeous). I don't really know how to describe them better than that. It was actually the level graphics combined with the fluid character and enemy animation that I saw in a Youtube video that made me seriously consider getting the game.

But Giana Sisters DS is actually a pretty good little game. It's not a remake so far as I can tell, but it's hard to actually tell because there's so little information on the game anywhere. I have no idea why this was released in America. Who knows who the Giana Sisters are here, besides weird retro nerds like myself? And who thought the thing would sell, especially with the hideous box art? If you do ever come across the game in a Gamestop or whatever for like $5, pick it up! You'll be entertained for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment