Saturday, September 18, 2010

3D Dot Game Heroes: Best Zelda Since Twilight Princess

Let's start with this. Between these two images, which seems more like a Zelda over world?
































The answer is the top one, despite not being a Zelda game while the bottom one is! Let's break it down, here. Both pictures do not have much going on in them; the first one has a hero and an enemy in the distance, and that's about it. The bottom one has the hero riding a train, and a vast empty space (with shitty textured grass, but I digress - my point here isn't about graphic fidelity).

At least the top one has something interesting to DO in the over world.

3D Dot Game Heroes is the best Zelda game in a long time. It may not be incredibly original (it cribs from the first Zelda quite a bit) but it is at least fun. I have beaten two dungeons already (and I've even DIED once! When was the last time you've died in a Zelda game?!) and there has not been any tedium whatsoever the entire time. The game is lean - there is not very much exposition, and what is there is pretty barebones. This is a gamers game. If you are playing this game, you're playing it because you like traditional videogames - not some weird FORCED touchscreen minigame that is completely removed from traditional series gameplay - and, most importantly, not fun at ALL.

To be clear, I'm talking about the train in Spirit Tracks.

I've bitched about the train before and I won't do it again. My point here is that I'm really enjoying 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Oh, and if you're wondering how I'm playing this, I now own a PS3. The games I have for it are 3D Dot Game Heroes, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption, God of War III, Batman Arkham Asylum, and Resident Evil 5. I plan on trying out all of these soon, and plan on playing a TON of the first three.

No comments:

Post a Comment